My trouble with migraine headaches started in 1999. I was in my late 20s, with no medical insurance, living in Charlottesville, Virginia. As the years passed, the migraines grew worse and more frequent. When I could access conventional medicine, there was nothing anybody could do for the migraines. All my lab work came back normal. One doctor suspected me of trying to score pain drugs. I learned over the years to soothe myself with bodywork, energy work, and home remedies. I studied Reiki, Herbalism, and Zero Balancing with some fantastic teachers. Still, my headaches gradually grew more frequent and severe.
In 2011, I moved to Denver, Colorado and married my husband. A few months after the wedding, my health began a more severe decline. I developed strange and debilitating symptoms. Severe chemical sensitivity (MCS). Food sensitivities. Debilitating fatigue. Maddening tinnitus. Anger and anxiety disorders. Memory problems. Frequent colds and UTIs. By 2013, I was in constant physical, emotional, and psychic pain. I knew there was a smart, happy, kind-hearted woman inside me, but all I could feel anymore was anger and fear. I had lost my magic.
I now know that I had been suffering all along from a progressive multi-system biochemical disorder. In 2014, I discovered that the root cause of my worsening troubles was the mercury that had been off-gassing and leaking out of my metal dental fillings. Long story short: I researched my options, found a dentist and had the old fillings safely removed, and began a mercury chelation protocol. For the first time in my life, my health started to get better rather than worse.
As I studied the work of Dr. Andy Cutler and learned about the chemistry of mercury chelation, I became more and more interested in a broader understanding of the science behind what had happened to me and how I recovered. I also saw a need for skilled practitioners in this area. The Cutler protocol includes an individualized supplementation program that is not always easy to work out for yourself, especially if you suffer from cognitive impairment. I hung out in the mercury detox forums, trying to help, and feeling ineffective.
What did I do next? I enrolled at Nutrition Therapy Institute in early 2015. Studying holistic nutrition therapy gave me some extremely effective therapeutic tools, clinical skills, and some letters after my name.
Just a handful of years ago, I thought I would always have migraines, that my pain was somehow a part of me. But it wasn’t– slowly but surely, I got better. Please get in touch if you’d like to talk about your health goals. I specialize in tough cases!
- 2015-present Nutrition Therapy Institute. Denver, Colorado. The 305 classroom hour CNTP curriculum includes coursework in anatomy and physiology, biochemical foundations of nutrition, nutrient science, weight management, digestive health, detoxification, food quality, eating psychology, and the practice of nutrition therapy. Currently completing coursework in NTI’s Master Nutrition Therapy program.
- 2017 Apex Seminars. Functional Endocrinology (16 hours), Mastering the Thyroid (20 hours).
- 2010 Zero Balancing I and II with Judith Sullivan. Charlottesville, Virginia. ZB is a simple bodywork technique that eases tension and relieves energetic “hangups” in the bones and joints. Advanced training course “Freely Movable Joints” 2012.
- 2007 Depth Diagnosis with herbalist and earth poet Stephen Buhner. Louisa, Virginia. Five-weekend workshop on intuitively accessing nature intelligence in the environment and using one’s own innate wisdom to understand a person’s condition and match them with an appropriate plant medicine.
- 2005-2006 Foundations of Herbalism with herbalist Kathleen Maier, Charlottesville, Virginia. 9-month apprenticeship in plant medicine in the Wise Woman tradition.
- 2000 Reiki I and II with Chic Katherman in Richmond, Virginia.
- 1994 B.A. in History with honors, the University of Texas at Austin.